It’s dead, Jim. Or, as Miracle Max would say, it’s only mostly dead. Yeah, I’ve been neglecting this blog again, haven’t even posted this, nor have I touched my 2200G PC much. Just not enough free time and that dead hard drive helped kill my enthusiasm for the project.
I had quite a few plans, comparisons to old graphics cards, comparison of 4GB and 8GB, studying storage solutions, from the effect of ReadyBoost to FuzeDrive (which became StoreMI with the latest motherboards). Probably won’t happen any time soon though, perhaps not ever.
Anyway, if anyone did happen to read this blog, my apologies. If anyone does care to comment and say what would interest them to read, than might encourage me to continue. For now, I’ll wait until I feel a little freer, and perhaps come up with a new project.
Unfortunately the 2TB Seagate Barracuda in the Phenom II PC died. That had all the videos I recorded on it, many of which I wanted to upload in the long run. Things like the ASRock BIOS and its update procedure, A8 9600 benchmarks, and of course a lot of 2200G stuff. Plus other unrelated stuff.
Of course, none of it was backed up.
This obviously puts a dent into my plans to create a useful blog and YouTube channel, something that already became harder recently due to having even less time for it than before, and with this setback became even harder.
Remember that PC whose RAM I wanted to upgrade? I did that this weekend, but first had to clean it. Here are the before and after pics:
Not perfect, but I didn’t want to disassemble it. Vacuum plus wipes plus compressor then vacuum and wipes again.
So PC had its bath, had RAM upgraded from 2GB to 6GB (unfortunately I didn’t find all 4 2GB DIMMs I had, so made do with 2x1GB + 2x2GB). Also got a new DVD drive (I discovered when I tried to run MemTest86 that the drive wouldn’t open). Now it has another 10 years ahead. 🙂
I carry a phone on me most of the time, but sometimes I leave it behind (such as when I’m with my family) and I often forget to charge it. I’m just not that much of a big phone user to care (I guess my age is showing).
Problem is, when my phone dies or isn’t with me, I’m much more limited these days than I was in the past, because even if I have another way to go on the internet, such as a PC or my wife’s phone, at some places (such as Gmail) the only way to verify my identity is my phone.
This catch-22 where I need to access a service in another way because I don’t have a phone and I can’t access it because I don’t have a phone is pretty annoying.
I found out what the problem was with the Radeon HD 5750. Somehow some case cables got into the fan, and stopped it from moving. With that out of the way, benchmarking can commence. Except that I don’t have much time for this right now.
I’ve tried doing some things, and it’s a struggle. For one thing, I can’t seem to be able to undervolt or underclock the CPU. Neither Ryzen Master nor the BIOS options ended up doing anything.Well, not completely nothing, the voltage did seem to take more time to read 1.4V and system power when running Prime95 was around 120W instead of 127W. But underclocking didn’t seem to do a thing and voltage tweaking didn’t seem to do any more than that. It’s not that the system was unstable or stopped working, it simply didn’t do a thing.
GPU undervolting did work, although only when I dropped the SOC voltage. But that made quite an obvious change, from around 88W in FurMark at 1.1V to around 82W at 1V. Still, without the ability of saving power by tweaking the CPU I felt that it was easiest to just use the 35W BIOS option.
Given that I had already tested that, I figured I’d move from power testing to something that was on my original test plan: comparing the integrate Vega 8 to the Radeon HD 5750 in my Phenom II PC.
I had planned to make a better video, so here it is. This Reddit thread helped me focus on some things.
For a start, I discovered that it was possible to change the location where Afterburner displays its text, by running RivaTuner Statistics Server. That helped display CPU and GPU stats without them overlaying the benchmark provided stats.
Unfortunately the GPU percentage showed garbage (a very large number) which overlayed other GPU stats. I tried installing the Raven Ridge drivers from AMD’s site, but that didn’t help, so I returned to the Microsoft supplied driver, which is newer.
Making the power meter more visible took a bit of effort. After several attempts I ended up propping a torch (flashlight) directed at it from the side, and that seemed to highlight the display better.
Syncing and overlaying 4 videos was more difficult than the two I had previously done, and it also turned out that cropping the start of the video after Track Motion is set resets it, which was annoying. The end result still isn’t perfectly frame aligned, but it’s close enough.